Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Two Worlds

From clanging metal

To laughing children

From the power of a diesel

To the energy of a six-year old

From creations in steel and aluminum

To art in construction paper and popsicle sticks


Two separate and distinct worlds

Could not be more different


Yours takes you far away

To see vast oceans

And new coast lines

Listening to the repetitive chug

Of the engine room

Living in small quarters

On a large

Floating structure

Surrounded by water

Rising and falling with the waves

Tossed on the whim of the weather


Yet you love it

You love this job that takes you from me

You love that your hands

Can combine with your mind

And blend into skills

To form a lasting creation

One that can be admired

Useful


My world is smaller

My home is constant

There are people who depend on me

As others do you

But my dependants are little

More willing to show their appreciation

With a hug or a smile

(What Chief engineer would do that?)


My creations are not lasting or useful

They are beautiful for the moment

Handprints in paint

A flower made from coffee filters

Something to grace my world with color

And life

But they will be replaced

With new life

Changing life


My world is tossed about

By the growth of my children

Who change by the minute

With far less predictability

Than the weather

Whose emotions

Are young and sensitive

Still untainted by societies advocacy

For stoicism


My world will wait

As it always does

For your world to come back

To join my own

My world is constant

Yours is in flux

But is unchanging in its changeability

Constant in its rhythm


I do not desire to be in your world

As I know you do not desire to be in mine

But as we love each other

We admire each respective world

With awe and disbelief at the choices

Of our partner

Yet

It is these distinct worlds

Which reflect our personalities

And abilities

Drawing these opposites

Into a more complex

Relationship

With weaknesses overcome

And strengths celebrated

A Larger and fuller world

Than either has the ability to create

Alone


July 22, 2007

No comments: