Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Your Journey



can’t you see it?
it is so clear to me
I see all the road signs
pointing the way
the same signs I followed
choosing for my own future

but you aren’t following them
you seem to deliberately ignore them
choosing instead to find the unmarked trail
are you watching down the road?
didn’t you see the sign for that cliff ahead?

my life is happy
it is all I want for you
glad I chose this route
still walking my road

but you are just starting out
your journey is a long one
are you watching your feet?
not looking ahead?
that is what will get you in trouble
focusing on the moment

how can I let you go?
I want to tie a leash to your wrist
keep you close
and safe
if you head for the cliff
you would be anchored to me

But you cut the ties
you burn your bridges
as you cross them
making a U-turn nearly  impossible

my tears come for your pain
the suffering you find constantly
each crash after climbing too high

I know you are not me
I know you have to choose your own path
but can’t it be a safer one?
one travelled and mapped?
one to a definite outcome?
I can’t see your destination

so I wring my hands
and I pray
letting you go
loving you through the potholes
and the quicksand
and the stinging nettles

Home is here
when you turn to see us
our light will be burning
as a beacon

just know
my heart breaks
watching you
live your own life

November 23, 2011

No comments: