Tuesday, June 30, 2009

God's-Eye View

Of all the mysteries

Surrounding

Our creator

Our maker

The Lord of the Universe


The one mystery

That eludes me

Most often

Is the way

He seems to

Like

Me


Most days

I barely like

Myself

Tolerate

At best

My imperfections

Strides towards

Total self-destruction

My utter lack of will power

The inability to change

Anything

About myself


To paraphrase

St. Paul

What I want to do

I can’t manage to pull off

What I want to avoid

Seems to drag me into its path

Seems to surround me


All these failures

These terrible character traits

Seem to be enough

To push away

The friends and acquaintances

Who can’t stand loudmouths

Who judge my devotion to God

Who give me the once over

And cast me aside

Like a second from the factory

To be sold at a discount

To the lower classes

The friendless

Not the popular

Or the In crowd


It is no wonder

That my mirror

Is distorted

I see through their perceived

Eyes

No longer a true image

The flaws hide the beauty

No longer optimistic

Depressed thoughts

Drag me deeper

Into the abyss

Of self-criticism


How does the Maker

Feel about the disparagement

Of his masterpiece?

The quirks and imperfections

He so carefully chose

To compliment

The strengths

To build the character

Of his chosen child


His view is also distorted

He is colour blind

To the shades of

The outer shell

The masks

I wear


He sees only the

Heart

The inner beauty

The passions

Emotions

Intentions

Those I love

The traits I wish

I could show the world


I don’t need to hide

From Him

There would be

No point

He’d find me

I’m on His radar


He knows me best

Yet He still

Likes me

In spite of

Because of

The chinks

In my armour

That allow Him

To get inside

To move inside

My soft heart


My desire?

To see

Me

Through His eyes

To know me

Better

As He knows me

To one day

Like myself

The way God

Likes me


June 30, 2009

2 comments:

Taylor Swim said...

Wow! That was awesome. That is a lot what I'm talking about for myself. You really should check out this book. You'll love it.

JennRose said...

Thanks Leca
I follow your blog all the time. I'm glad you like my poem!
Jenn