Friday, May 25, 2007

Inspiration

So I was rereading a few of my favorite poems last night and decided to share them. These are by some of my fellow ABU grads, as published in a book called "Lunch: My Favorite Season" that was presented to me by Dr. Mantz upon graduation. I will say in no uncertain terms, these poets have inspired me to write my own poetry. Thanks.

In the Choices by Jenn Carson
I hate heels
like Marion walking sideways down the stairs
they don't let me get where I'm going fast enough

I hate pantyhose
they dig into my stomach
never keep my legs warm
and they itch

I wear men's work pants
because they have lots of pockets to hold my things
but

I still come home from a long day
to a pile of dishes no man will wash
and put on my black lace negligee
so I will look like a woman for him



Bathtub Song for You by Jenn Carson

I'm determined not to sensationalize this
The last thing the world needs
is another sad love poem
gushing in the glory of separation

I'm sitting in the bathtub
I'm not really dirty
or cold
though I did find it chilly today
but more because
I need the kind of warmth
that a blanket doesn't provide

I've been in here so long
that is keeps growing tepid
abd I keep scalding my toes
by adding more hot water
I have to remind myself
to let the old water out

I'm eating a piece of stale
room temperature
raisin bread toast
with peanut butter on it
it's dry and it sticks
in the back of my throat
I wash it down
with a mug of skim milk
that was sitting on the bathroom floor

I'm not even hungry
I just keep putting things in my mouth
because it's empty
because your mouth isn't here

And soon I will have to climb out
of my porcelain uterus
and make my way to the bed
and stare at the ceiling
imagining you hovering over me
like you do in the mornings
surprising me with your warm
thoughtful eyes

And I will think about
how I have to wake up
and do this all over again
for what feels like a million lifetimes
until I can hold you in my litle arms

And I contemplate drinking
all the rum and wine and vodke
in my kitchen
or chain-smoking
until I burn a hole through my lung
or accidentally falling asleep
while I hold my breath
in this lonely barren bathtub

And I'm determined not to sensationalize this
But fuck multum in parvo
there's no way to say
how much I miss you
in a stanza or even a paragraph

It's just me without you
and this tub
and this emptiness

And I wait

And I wait

No comments: